Friday, November 12, 2010

Sketch 2 Idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6JjY-AKPIY&feature=player_embedded#!

So for sketch two I decided to continue with my ideas of integrating arduino into clothing.

I liked the idea in sketch 1, but my implementation was off since I used wires that were too heavy of a gauge.

My next idea was to design something that would actually have a use, and not just be artistic, and to also make it fully integrated into the piece of clothing so it didn't look clunky or out of place.

The idea I came up with actually happened while i was walking home one night. I realiezd that it was quite windy so lifting the collar of my shirt to protect my neck would probably be wise.
Naturally I began thinking of "well what if I could make a wind sensor and then have my collar raise itself when it was windy?"

So how to do this? Well the idea so far is this.

I'd have 2 servo motors connected to rods that would be sewn into the collar. When they detect that the circuit is complete, they would actuate and lift the collar.

The most challening part of the idea is actually creating the sensor which detects the wind. For this, I turned to inspiration i had from the very first time we worked with soft circuit, when i Greg challenged me to extend my built circuit.

What i did was add two balls of aluminum foil at the end of my circuit and as I walked they would hit each other and make contact.

So why not have a hanging ball of conductive material that would only make contact when a certain amount of wind force hit it so that it could make contact with the other material.

The servo motors would operate with digital pins, all they would need is an on/off state. When it's windy the collar would be up because the circuit would complete. When it wasn't windy, the servo motors would lower.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/interactive/debb/

No comments:

Post a Comment